On this page, I’ve assembled a collection of online artifacts and resources that are reflective of my work and capabilities. To the left in the menu bar, you’ll find links to my four online resources, which represent my contributions to the field of education over the past decade.
My Career, In Detail: If you would like to see my full background over 29 years, my curriculum vitae is here.
My Current Position: I have recently launched David Jakes Designs, LLC, a design studio dedicated to exploring the relationships and interactions between teaching, learning, technology, leadership and space design.
Work with The Third Teacher+: For the past two years, I w learning space designer for CannonDesign and The Third Teacher+ in Chicago, Illinois, USA where I was responsible for supporting the design process for creating new and renovated school spaces. My role included providing an “educators lens” to the process of school design, as well as helping to craft digital designs for learning. With my education background, I also provided professional learning experiences for The Third Teacher+ clients. Below is an example of a “learning space playbook” created for The Lovett School in Atlanta, Georgia that was the result of post-occupancy work and that supported professional development work.
My Presentations: I have been presenting at the national (US) level since 1995, and have presented in Canada, Europe and China. The presentations I have given over that time span reflect the development of my ideas about the intersection of learning and technology. My presentations ( can be viewed at my presentation site) and my slidedecks can be viewed at Slideshare. Since 2008, my slidedecks have been viewed a total of 161926 views, 2193 slidedecks have been downloaded, and there have been 541 favorites made.
A List of Presentations: here are the conferences and locations that I have presented at recently.
Presentation Resources: I host the content that I present at conferences at David Jakes Presentation Resources. Here are examples of how I support my attendees with additional resources beyond the presentation itself:
- Developing the Design Mind: An Introduction to Design Thinking with Christian Long
- Towards a Framework for Visual Literacy Learning
- Creating Digital Learning Spaces
- Understanding Learning Spaces
- Standing Room Only: How to Create Unforgettable Presentations
- Capturing Stories, Capturing Lives: An Introduction to Digital Storytelling
- Behind the Scenes: How Schools Prepare for Space Change
What If The Story Changed? My 2012 K12 Online Presentation. This presentation asks educators to rethink the story of education, and how to begin creating the language necessary to create the conditions in a school that are capable of supporting systemic change.
My Writing: I’ve been writing in a number of venues about technology and learning, including on my blog, The Strength of Weak Ties and now on davidjakes.me, since 2005. Here are representative blog posts that reflect how I write:
- Innovation as Mindset | Intel K-12 BluePrint Blog
- Towards a Tipping Point | The Third Teacher+ blog
- Developing an Organizational Mindset of Innovation | Intel K-12 BluePrint Blog
- 10X Thinking 10X Leadership | davidjakes.me
- My Manifesto to Learning | davidjakes.me
- The First Question | Smartblogs on Education
- 9 Dots | The Strength of Weak Ties
- Towards a Vision for Visual Literacy Learning | David Jakes Presentation Resources
- Caution: Falling Rocks | The Strength of Weak Ties
- Your Climate, Your Culture | Smartblogs on Education
Words Matter: I to publish my thoughts on education, technology and learning, in a popular series called “Words Matter,” where I explore the contemporary meaning of one to two words. Here are three examples:
Published Articles: I’ve had a number of articles published in more traditional formats (see vitae for a full listing) This article, published by the Texas Computer Education Association, was in there November 2010 issue of TechEdge. It reflects some early thinking about designing learning spaces:
- How to Design a Space For High Tech Learning
- Digital Spaces and a New Ecology of Learning | Learning Spaces Magazine, page 72
- Space Age | American School Board Journal
- Solving the Professional Learning Crisis | with Kristen Swanson, Brytebyes
My Photography: my favorite picture I have ever taken. This is the Oregon coast at Cannon Beach. The pointed “rock” in the center of the photo is Haystack Rock, a 22 story sea stack.
My upcoming projects:
Forty 140.com is a new project I am developing, along with Ryan Bretag, that will produce “thinking streams” on critical issues in education. Each thinking stream is composed of forty essential ideas presented in 140 characters or less (with an obvious nod to Twitter). Each idea is coupled with another reflective question that asks the reader to think more deeply about the 140 character concept, and develop a written answer. After completing all forty ideas, the reader will have a completed stream on their thoughts regarding that essential educational issue.
Speaking Opportunities: if you are interested in having me speak at your conference or event, please contact me directly at: david at davidjakesdesigns.com
Thanks for visiting!